I know many use tablets for gaming, music, drawing etc, so I don’t claim that my uses are especially generic, except possibly in a consulting context.
A tablet is without question much better for reading PDFs and for browsing than an E-Ink e-book reader or a smartphone, but my laptop beats it on everything (hands down), except portability.
I have a sense I have too many gadgets. Note that what follows is just what I use on a daily basis. There are numerous PDAs and phones collecting dust.
- Devices: currently Apple iPhone 3GS and HTC Wildfire, depending on mood and circumstance
- Context: Everywhere
- Uses: primarily phone calls, SMS, e-mail, browsing, social apps, 3G modem for the laptop
- Device: currently Amazon Kindle
- Context: Home and while travelling
- Uses: reading literature
- Device: currently SuperPad (Android)
- Context: Home only, but sometimes professionally
- Uses: e-mail, browsing, reading (mainly documentation as PDFs)
- Device: currently Dell Vostro 3500 with some extra goodies
- Context: Home and work, including at customer sites
- Uses: e-mail, browsing, documentation, software development, reading (while working)
- Device: No-brand gaming-optimized PC
- Context: Home office
- Uses: the same as for the laptop, and gaming