Is it realistic to make chatbots for popular chat services? Very much so. The state of the industry is such that best case you can set up chatbots without writing a line of code.
Here are a few services of note:
Especially api.ai has gone the extra mile to provide an end-to-end solution.
Chatbots face a few challenges right now. I decidedly don’t express my opinions, but the questions might give it away a bit.
- Where will they provide any real bottom line value to companies? Are other values relevant enough?
- Will anyone use them beyond the initial novelty/curiosity stage?
- What tolerance do chatbots have for misspellings and abbreviations? People can’t spell.
- Will the rather cumbersome act of asking a chatbot about things be preferred to clicking on exactly the thing you want on a web page, among maybe 100s of items?
- Are they “intelligent” enough for a dialogue to seem natural and coherent when ordering, asking etc?